market-farming - Lisianthus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, 'Market-Farmers' <Market-Farmers AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Lisianthus
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:45:30 -0500

Good morning all !

No answers on whether to pinch or not pinch Lisianthus. "The Flower Farmer"
has terrific cultural information on how to grow and handle it. Should have
looked there first - it's a great reference, and doesn't say to pinch at
transplant. Also, Armitage's book on cut flowers has a lot of cultural
information that suggests you don't pinch, (although it doesn't SAY it), but
cut back after the first harvest for a second one 6-8 weeks later. What do
we plan to do ? Pinch a FEW and see how it works. We'll report.

We're growing these in our high tunnels with drip irrigation. The high
tunnels aren't used a lot in the summer, so we're hoping this will be one
good use for them. We also plan to try late melons this year. We have one
entire tunnel devoted to cuts this year for early bouquets. Right now we
have zinnias, cosmos, marigolds, white mignonette, salvia viridis. larkspur,
dianthus barbatus and centaurea blooming or ready to bloom. Also glads
about 8" tall. We'll be transplanting our first outdoor plants this week -
so the cuts in the tunnel are really ahead. Only time will tell whether it
is a profitable use of space.

For those who asked, these Lisianthus plugs were custom grown for us by a
local greenhouse. She uses the tobacco float system for her seedlings. It
is a really good way to grow Lisianthus because they get constant root
moisture without the overhead moisture that can cause disease. We grow all
our other transplants, but bought these "difficult" ones.

Have a great growing week. Farmers' Market starts for us May 5th, so we're
hustling to get ready !

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
Smiths Grove, KY
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com

Alison Wiediger, Technician
Hart County Schools
awiediger AT hart.k12.ky.us

  • Lisianthus, Wiediger, Alison, 04/19/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Lisianthus, HackettShark, 04/20/2001
    • Re: Lisianthus, Wiediger, Alison, 04/23/2001
    • Lisianthus, Wiediger, Alison, 04/23/2001