market-farming - Lisianthus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, 'Market-Farmers' <Market-Farmers AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Lisianthus
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:13:46 -0500

Good morning everyone !

We have been growing cut flowers for Farmers' Market for years. However,
this year we decided to go a little more exotic and try Lisianthus. We'll
be growing them both in the high tunnels, and outdoors to determine which
method is best for us.

We picked up two trays of the most beautiful plugs yesterday - about 5" tall
and healthy. We'll be transplanting tonight and probably into the weekend.
My question is this: Do we pinch the tops out to promote branching like we
do for snaps ? Or leave them intact for earliest bloom, or do a little of
both ?

Thanks ! We're really excited about adding these beautiful flowers to our
bouquets this summer !

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com

Alison Wiediger, Technician
Hart County Schools
awiediger AT hart.k12.ky.us

  • Lisianthus, Wiediger, Alison, 04/19/2001