market-farming - FW: cutworms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Miranda Smith <Miranda.Smith AT creativehomeowner.com>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: FW: cutworms
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:19:52 -0400

Depending on how many plants you have: you can put three toothpics around
each tomato, pepper, etc. stem. For crops such as onions, for which the
toothpics would be a hassle, you can make a newspaper slurry--like a thick,
gloopy papier mache--strips of newspaper soaked in a bucket with water to
cover. Let it sit until it is mush. Ladle out big globs and pat around the
stems. Once the slurry dries, the cutworms have trouble getting through it.

Miranda

> I am having trouble with cutworms this year more than in years past.
> They are eating off my potatoes, onions and tomatoes. Does anyone have
> any good ideas to help keep the
> cutworms off of my plants?
> Julie Vaughn

  • cutworms, Jim and Julie Vaughn, 04/20/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • FW: cutworms, Miranda Smith, 04/20/2001
    • Re: cutworms, Lucy Owsley, 04/20/2001