market-farming - new garlic grower wannabe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Barry Hanes" <barry AT bright.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: new garlic grower wannabe
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:26:40 -0400

Hi,
Just found this site thanks to Lucy Goodman-Owsley.
Have around 2000 cloves in the ground for next harvest. Got the garlic
growing bug a couple of years ago. Would like to turn it into a profitable
business. Anyone out there growing and selling garlic ? i have not sold
any to date, just been multipling my crop. Hope to sell small amount this
year and establish myself for a crop of around 7000 next year. I would
appreciate any information, success or failure stories or old fashioned
advice.
Some of my manyy questions:
Tax filing ??
Pricing ??
Best type for Ohio ??
Marketing ??
Internet sales ??
Sales to existing farm markets, wholesale ??
Can I make a living doing this ??

Thanks
Barry barry AT bright.net