market-farming - Re: mole plant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vint Lawrence <vlawrence AT nets.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mole plant
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:26:18 -0600

Rick & Tracy Meisterheim wrote:

> Hello all,
> We had a student ask about a mole plant -- a certain plant that deters
> moles. Anyone know what it is? Thanks for the info, we really appreciate
> all the sage wisdom and great dialog on this list!
> Rick & Tracy Meisterheim
> Wagbo Peace Center
> East Jordan, Michigan

Rick & Tracy,
Although Castor Bean is called mole plant and is reputed to deter moles, it
is an extremely poisonous plant, especially for children, who are attracted
to eating the bean pods.
There is another euphorbia, E.lathyris, which is commonly also called "mole
plant"that is used by numerous ornamental gardeners on the East coast.
Most information is anecdotal at best. I know of no studies that confirm
deterrence.
Vint Lawrence
Apache Creek Ranch Permaculture
Santa Fe, NM

  • mole plant, Rick & Tracy Meisterheim, 04/19/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: mole plant, Liz Pike, 04/19/2001
    • Re: mole plant, Vint Lawrence, 04/19/2001