market-farming - Lead Pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Lead Pricing
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:33:07 -0500

Martin,
    A few impressions.
    Yes, I think it would look like you are trying to get rid of it.
    In addition, what I am striving for is an honest relationship with my
customers - I ask what I think is a fair price - so that I can support
myself and my passion of growing healthy food.  Marketing in the manner you
describe would not further that relationship.

    I think valuing our work and charging a price  accordingly is part of
this honest relationship.  An example:  a sister vendor and I have been
selling next to each other for years.  A few years ago, we talked about the
price of cherry tomatoes.  She sells her cherry tomatoes for the same price
that I do usually - $1.50 a pint at the beginning of the season - to $1 later on when they are more plentiful.  At one point in one season, she had
a whole lot of them, and was going to sell them for 50 cents a pint.  I
argued that since they were the most labor intensive of all our tomatoes -
lots of work picking them, then it did not make sense to cut the price in
half.  Even if she sold twice as much, she would make the same thing - and
in the process would be devaluing herself and her labor, as well as mine.
For a while she kept the price at the same rate, and is more apt to now as
well.

                                                                Jill