market-farming - GMO Foods

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: GMO Foods
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:39:10 -0700

This story appeared on http://www.individual.com April 11, 2001

No Wall High Enough/ Nature's Path Has Raised the Bar With Its Third-Party
Certified Organic Breakfast Cereals as Concerns Rise WithGMO 'Genetic Drift'
Contamination

DELTA, British Columbia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 10, 2001 via NewsEdge
Corporation -
Did you
know that 60 to 70 percent of all processed foods in America may be
made with genetically modified soy, canola or corn?

This is an estimate recently reported by the Grocery Manufacturers
of America. More than 65 million acres in the USA, and 6.6 million
acres in Canada are planted in GMO crops, according to Scientific
American.

Arran Stephens, Founder and President of Nature's Path Foods, a
leading manufacturer of organic breakfast cereals, said consumers have
a right to know what they are eating. According to a poll of 1,001
adults by the Pew Charitable Trusts, three-quarters of the respondents
wanted to know what foods contain genetically engineered foods. Of
this group, roughly 60 percent said they didn't want genetically
engineered crops introduced into the food supply.

The U.S. Food &amp; Drug Administration (FDA) is currently debating
FDA proposed labeling rules regarding the presence of GMOs in the food
supply. It is the FDA's position that the use of "Non-GMO" be phased
out as a claim, and replaced with a reference to "No ingredients
created with biotechnology."

"The FDA has it entirely the wrong way around," says Stephens.
"There should be compulsory labeling of products containing GMO
ingredients. Many other countries already have compulsory labeling of
GMOs above a one percent threshold."

Using genetic engineering -- virus, bacteria or toxin genes have
been added to some varieties of soya and corn. Many scientists and
environmentalists have already expressed concerns about the effect of
doing this. A major concern for the food industry is that these
introduced genes can then contaminate natural crops by pollen drift or
mixing during handling.

"We were appalled to see that precisely the genetic pollution we
feared is now taking place in America's croplands," Stephens said, as
a response to a Wall Street Journal article on Thursday, April 5. He
added, "While the products tested were presumably made with non-GMO
ingredients, most were not certified organic. To be a third-party
certified organic farmer/processor involves following an audited
quality rigor not found in conventional methods."

"Genetic drift is the single biggest reason we have been and
continue to be adamant opponents of genetic engineering -- there is
every likelihood North America's food chain is being irretrievably
polluted by genetic experiments," he added. "Even though we buy the
purest certified organic corn available, there is still a danger of
trace contamination from GE crops. There is no wall high enough to
keep out genetic drift."

Stephens explained that both Nature's Path plants in Delta, B.C.
and Blaine, Wash. are third-party QAI certified, ISO-65 compliant
organic processing facilities.

"To meet certification standards, we require our raw materials
suppliers to be certified organic operations themselves," he said.

"All corn, soy and canola suppliers are required to be tested for
the presence of GMOs in every shipment sent to Nature's Path. Anything
less than 99 percent pure is rejected. That is our standard. Consumers
should be aware, however, that an organic farmer cannot control all
outside forces such as water, earth, and wind-borne contaminants. Who
should bear the cost of genetic trespass?" he asks. "Shouldn't the
responsibility rebound on the biotech companies which caused it in the
first place?"

"In addition to supplier testing, we're now doing our own tests of
all corn and soy deliveries to ensure our consumers get what they
expect," added Parimal Rana, manager of the company's Quality
Assurance Department.

Stephens added, "we are asking for a moratorium on GMO crops.
Until that time, mandatory labeling of GMO foods is a must, so
consumers know what they are eating, and choosing. In the meantime we
will be sending our bills for this expensive testing directly to the
biotech companies who have caused this environmental problem."

Nature's Path's organic breakfast line consists of Optimum(TM)
Power Breakfast(TM), Heritage(R) Multigrain Flakes, Multigrain with
Raisin, Millet Rice Flakes, Corn Flakes FJS, Heritage(R) O's,
Heritage(R) Flakes, Heritage(R) Muesli, Blueberry Almond Muesli,
Honey'd(TM) Corn Flakes, Honey'd(R)Raisin Bran, Mesa Sunrise(R),
Kamut(R) Krisp, Shredded Oaty Bites(TM), Shredded Heritage(R) Bites,
Crispy Rice(TM) Hemp Plus(TM), Flax Plus(R), Soy Plus(R) and
EnviroKidz(TM) organic children's cereals, i.e. Gorilla Munch(TM),
Orangutan-O's(TM), Koala Crisp(TM), Amazon(TM) Frosted Flakes, and
Panda Puffs(TM). The EnviroKidz line donates 1% of its annual sales to
charities (WWF, ACT, OFI) protecting endangered species and habitat.

Founded in 1985 by Arran Stephens, Nature's Path Foods owns and
operates QAI-certified processing facilities in Delta, BC, and Blaine,
WA. North America's best-selling brand of organic and all-natural
breakfast foods are marketed under Nature's Path and LifeStream,
respectively. Visit our website: www.naturespath.com

CONTACT: Nature's Path Foods | Rob Wardle, 604/940-0505 Ext.
342 | or | Kim Beeler, 503/223-2168 (Media Contact)

  • GMO Foods, Kevin Ancell, 04/11/2001