market-farming - Re: PS: ROTOTILLER

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: PS: ROTOTILLER
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:34:18 -0600

Jacqueline,

I only do about 2 acres. I don't know that the broadfork will take more
time - I usually go over places twice when I till, and the broadfork will
need just once. In addition, my horse needs a real uuuuuuuuuuuummmph to
turn a corner - as it is 300 + pounds, and also gives me difficulty with
carpal tunnel. I initially got carpal tunnel from it.

The broadfork should loosen the earth enough so that I can remove any
dried plants in order to plant. I will probably use the broadfork in places
where I transplant, - for onions, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries,
and still use the tiller where I want to seed - such as for peas,
etc.etc.etc. The broadfork is supposed to feel good when you use it, and
also has the benefit of using Jill energy instead of gasoline.

Last year I tried translplanting half of my onions by not tilling, but
rather clearing dried plants, and then digging a transplant hole, and adding
the usual amendments - in my case, wormcastings, azomite, sea kelp, green
sand. The onions grew very large, and there was no difference in thriving
between those that I tilled and those that I just cleared and dug holes for.
I know the earthworms dislike the tilling immensely.

Jill
Jill

I'm curious as to how much acreage you have? We > have 5 acres in garden
and I'm looking for options as I had an accident with < Jacqueline

  • Re: PS: ROTOTILLER, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai, 03/19/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: PS: ROTOTILLER, Jill Taylor Bussiere, 03/19/2001