market-farming - Re: ProMix not organic????

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Boulder Belt Organics <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ProMix not organic????
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:30:29 -0500

In Ohio the potting soil must be OMRI approved or you make your own
because almost all potting mixes have a petroleum based wetting agent.
Look on the package to see if there is a wetting agent (it must be
listed if it is there). OEFFA is very clear on this and will decertify
any grower caught using such soiless mixes

We make our own as we have not been able to find a commercial mix that
didn't have a wetting agent. Some mixes even claim to be organic but
still have the wetting agent in them and so are not useable on an
organic farm. I find home made mixes to far superior to anything I have
bought-kinda like how our homegrown food is better :-)

BTW, even if you are small, if you want to use the term organic under
USDA regs., you must follow the same rules as the certified folks and
that means no wetting agents in soils, among other things

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH