market-farming - Re: produce kits @ market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: produce kits @ market
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 15:21:52 -0800

From: MJ Barnes <tbarnes AT huntel.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 17:31:50 GMT

Can I ask ---- what kind of a price do you put on your produce kits?? I've often thought of this idea, but seems to get a little pricy. Like in your salsa basket you would include--tomatoes, .....

hi MJ, we did salad last year and it worked out nicely. I'm from BC Canada so our pricing may not help you, but to give you a comparative in pricing: tomatoes during the season would sell at 0.30/lb (ouch), off season 1.70+/lb. Cucumber (English style) 2 for 1.00 - off season 1.50 - 2.00 each. To try and balance this off we started the kits. Lettuce mix: usually 4 - 7 varieties, we would pull out with root, take a sharp knife and section from root into heart then break into 1/4's or 1/2's, wrap root in wet paper toweling and cellophane, put all varieties into a cardboard fruit basket (size used for peaches), include herbs and a recipe for dressing. Each basket weighed approx 2 lbs we sold for $3 - (1.50/lb - double of regular price). This allowed the customer a variety of lettuce that they could enjoy without having to buy several heads and watch most of it rot in their fridge. At first it took a while and we doubted what we were doing due to time consumption, then we set up a packaging station and things went swiftly. Hope this helps. Jacqueline