market-farming - Re: perennial weeds and deer damage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Gary & Sarah Rowland" <hcf AT moment.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: perennial weeds and deer damage
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:50:32 -0600

Here in central Texas, Johnsongrass responds really well to cold steel
[hoeing] and drought. Long as you get it early and it stays dry no problem.
If it gets wet you fight till it gets dry again.
We started out 10 years ago with an electric fence and peanut butter bait
and it worked until it got dry. When the surrounding areas go brown and all
that remains green is the drip irrigated veg, get out of the way cause here
they come.
Deer would rather go under than over unless being chased. So we put up 48"
net fence and then put barb wire above at 4", 8",10"12"and 14" and that
cured the problem. I've got 17 acres inside the fence and at that time it
was $7000 and a lot of hard work to put it up. But we had 20 deer a night
making the salad bar and you can't fill them up. Once they find easy
pickings their back for more.
Gary
Hairston Creek Farm
Burnet, Texas