market-farming - greenhouse questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin L Burkholder <gleneco1 AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu, csa-L AT prairienet.org
  • Subject: greenhouse questions
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:13:06 -0500

I scrounged up some old incubation trays formerly used in a hatchery.
They measure 1' x 3' and are made of 5/16" x 1-1/2" wood with 1/4" mesh
hardware screen for the bottoms. I plan to use them in the greenhouse
lined up across two 2' x 4's on sawhorses. This makes an inexpensive and
easy to dismantle bench system. Each tray will comfotably hold about 1
1/2 to 1 2/3s of standard 11" x 20" plug inserts depending on the shape
and size of the inserts, eliminating the need to fool with the flimsy
plastic plug trays.

The wood on the incubation trays will need some sort of paint or wood
preservative to protect them from moisture. I'm thinking of using
Thompsons Water Seal. Can anyone tell me if this will cause an
outgassing problem which could harm young plants? I've already learned
the hard way last summer from letting some flats of brocolli sit on a
pressure treated deck. If TWS is not safe what materials would be ok to
use?

Marlin

" Concerning most controversial issues, the truth is to be found
somewhere between what the extremists on either end are shouting, and is
usually spoken quietly and with conviction. It is up to us to find that
truth and to act upon it."

"'Truth' is 'truth' regardless of whether or not you, or I, or anyone
else, will believe it."

"Do not my friend, apply to me the labels 'conservative', 'moderate', or
'liberal'. I only ask you to allow me the freedom to be conservative
when I need to be conservative and to be liberal when I need to be
liberal."

(authors unknown)
from the central Shenandoah Valley of Virginia