market-farming - Re: greenhouse questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: greenhouse questions
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:44:48 -0600

I am in a position to purchase a greenhouse - I will have some help to build one but cannot quite figure out where to go to order the parts.....the best price and materials among all the options

Here is what I want - one with dimensions approx. 16 (to 20) width and as long as I can get while still allowing for adequate ventilation (that info is in the Growing4 Market article)...it will be UNHEATED and there is NO SNOW in my area......

Hi!  We're located in SC KY and have about 6500 sq feet in unheated "greenhouse", "coldframe", "high tunnel", call it what you want, production.  The frames we like best are 20 by 96 feet long.  We purchase them from Atlas Greenhouse Systems, Inc located in Alapaha, Ga
www.AtlasGreenhouse.com   We use their RT series w/ 6 foot bow spacing.  Price should be $825.00.  Very easy to assemble and comes w/ terrific instructions.  We also purchase from Atlas their poly lock system (which could be optional) but with your high wind situation I would recommend it.  We also purchase their roll webbing to install our own windows for ventilation.

We purchase our plastic from Park Seed Wholesale   - phone 800-845-3366.  Sorry, I don't know of a website for them.  We use Tufflite IV - 6mil 4 year.  We use IR on the inside layer and regular on the outside.  We use Park because they have the cheapest price and very inexpensive freight rates on the plastic.  7cents per square on the IR and 6 cents per square on the regular.  You need to purchase 32 foot wide plastic to fit the Atlas frame. and the house will actually measure 19' 8" when complete rather than 20'.

We purchase the inflation blower fan, mounting bracket and jumper hoses from Jaderloon (good pricing)     www.jaderloon.com

If you want a complete breakdown including other material you will need to erect the frame, please let me know and I'll mail it to you. A complete 20 x 96 unit will cost you somewhere between $2000 and $2500 depending on freight, etc.

Hope this helps.  If you would like to see the frames in winter production feel free to visit.  We're located just off I-65 not too far from MCNP.  You might want to look at our website to see our frames in production.

BWI also carries the Atlas line, but I think you'll get it cheaper going direct to Atlas.  But check it out.  BWI usually has really good prices on many items.

Paul Wiediger