market-farming - Re: Harvesting chard/kale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Harvesting chard/kale
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 01:48:13 -0400

Kale gets planted here in late Feb. seeded 4 rows to a bed the inexpensive
Vates type then
covered with remay, plants are cut when 12-14" tall at soil level packed into
1/2 bu boxed
with ice, the plants do come back before going to seed. I don't know too much
about chard,
many farms around grow it, I saw a nice 10 acre block being picked yesterday
they only cut
the centers leaving the older leaves they were irrigating today so I guess
they will be
going for another cutting sorry I cant be more help but I would recommend you
sidedress
after each cutting to maintain vigor, locally I see many acres of greens
being seeded to
over winter under row covers, spinach 4" tall, parsley just coming up and
many acres of
leeks just going in this week
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ