market-farming - Re: Harvesting chard/kale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Harvesting chard/kale
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:39:14 -0500

I'm not Mike, but there are many ways! Last night we had some this way -
saute a small onion and a clove of garlic in olive oil. Add 1 cup rice, 1
1/2 cups water, 1 pound chopped chard. Cook for 20 minutes on simmer, then
turn off and let rest for about 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup Parmesian cheese,
toss, and serve. Yum!

Chard balls - remove stem from chard, steam, chop. Mix in with bread
crumbs, melted butter, Parmesian cheese, sauteed onions and garlic, and 1
egg. Refrigerate. Make into ball shapes, and bake in moderate oven for
about 15 minutes. Yum, yum.

Remove stem, chop, and add to the ricotta or cottage cheese filling of
lasagne.

Make a quiche with it.

Make tea sandwiches by rolling bread flat, spreading an herbed cream cheese
spread, placing a chard leaf on top, and then rolling. Slice into
pinwheels, and eat.

Etc.
Jill