market-farming - Re: Harvesting chard/kale

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob Brocious" <bbrocious AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Harvesting chard/kale
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 02:28:17 GMT

Mike,
We grew some beautiful chard as a test this year. We can't figure out what to do with it. How do you prepare it?
Bob

From: "Mike Steinberg" <mstein AT wclynx.com>
To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: Harvesting chard/kale
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:25:47 -0400

I would like some advice on the number of times a person can harvest chard
and/or kale on a commercial basis. We usually just strip the leaves from
the plants, let them grow large again, and then harvest again. Seems like
the quality of the leaves does deteriorate after a few cuttings and
insects then seem to attack-especially aphids. Also, if we cut the chard
down to the crown, will the new growth be as healthy as new plants would
be?

Mike
Flying Frog Farm

---
You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: bbrocious AT hotmail.com
To subscribe send email to lyris AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
with message text containing: subscribe market-farming <your name>