market-farming - Re: Deer problems - garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: maroc AT islandnet.com (Maroc)
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deer problems - garlic
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 20:35:35 +0000

I relate this as sort of a "confession". Before I had the dog that now
solves most of the deer problems (when he's not off solving the neighbours'
deer problems - Great Pyrennes tend to assume great responsibilities, even
when not asked) I tried many suggested remedies. Someone told me to try
Milorganite, the stuff that originates in Milwaukee's sewage treatment
plants. I spread some along some Merlot grape vines that were taking a
beating. Whether by chance or because of the composted sewage I don't know
but the deer stayed away from that area.

Then I got to worrying about the stuff that deer won't come near being fed
to the roots of prime wine grapes and panicked. I scraped as much as I
could from the ground, got it off my property and not much later my Lady
brought me home a beautiful white dog. Although he occasionally lifts his
leg when I'm not watching, I think it's a lot healthier than the sewage
stuff.

Don Maroc
Vancouver Island, Canada