market-farming - Re: Deer problems - garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deer problems - garlic
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:36:47 -0400

Hi,

I would like to echo what Lyn said. Sewage sludge contains all the heavy
metals used by
industries because all cities have not separated their residential waste from
the
industrial waste- it all winds up in the sewage plants. (Not to mention all
the toxic
cleaners used in homes, as mentioned by another person. And the unused
chemicals dumped
into toilets.)

If this sludge were tested and regulated like other products, it would be
classed as
toxic waste for the heavy metal content. And they want us to "dispose" of it
by
spreading it on our lawns and fields. This results in heavy metal buildup in
the soils.

One of the industry's favorite dodges is that lawns don't grow food. Well
suppose you
bought a house and decided to dig up the grass and put in a garden for your
family. Or
bought property that was a plant nursery at one time and started a market
farm. The
metals will persist in the soil for many years and will be absorbed by the
plants, unless
actively remediated. And no one is required to disclose what they've spread
or sprayed
when selling property.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm