market-farming - Re: soy to my world

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh Lovel <uai AT alltel.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: soy to my world
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 21:52:17 -0400

>Howabout fertility in the soil for these beans, Hugh? I read that soy
>beans need little or nothing, but some years in some places I've
>grown tiny tiny plants with pretty empty pods. Water seems to be a
>big factor in this, of course.
>
>I'm very interested in your cultural advice.
>
>Thanks
>
>-Allan

Dear Allan,

Lime, phosphorus and potash are all important for soys, but they like to
pioneer this really raw, red clay stuff. And, yes, when in doubt
innoculate. It is cheap compared to failure even when you must buy the
innoculant size for 5 bushels. They are great nitrogen fixers and
interplant with corn very well.

Best,
Hugh