market-farming - Re: soy to my world

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <jrei AT uswest.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: soy to my world
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 21:15:21 -0700

Hi,
The interest in vegetable soy beans seems to have caught on this year all
over. I have
seen one response to your question maintaining that vegetable soybeans are
the same as
dried soybeans used for cattle feed and processing. These grain soybeans and
the vegetable
or Japanese edamame soybeans are different. The true vegetable soybean has
lower trypsin
levels, fewer oligosaccharides and more vitamins than the processing types.
These factors
make the bean much sweeter without the bitter aftertaste that can be found in
other
varieties.

Unfortunately because of the demand many of the best varieties have been sold
out for a
month or so. Most of the best varieties come from Japan although breeders for
the US
Soybean Institute have released some edamame types in the form of germplasm
and the USDA
recently released a mass germplasm that we are working with. If you are
interested in
trialing some I would be interested in there performance in the deep south.
Let me know.
Joel @ Territorial Seed