market-farming - Re: peat moss substitute

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Martin Cooke <m.cooke AT dcs.shef.ac.uk>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: peat moss substitute
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:46:45 +0100

Peat is a big issue in the UK too, where its extraction is certainly
unsustainable [apart from relatively low usage as a source of heat in
the Outer Hebrides of Scotland]. But there is at least one non-coir peat
alternative we've used (on a small scale, so far) produced by West
Riding Organics (westridingorganics AT btinternet.com). Their range of
potting and blocking composts come from collecting naturally eroded
particles of decomposed peat and leafmould from watercourses in the
Pennine moorland region of Northern England. This, I believe, has a nice
side effect of reducing silt build-up in reservoirs too.

I don't know if there are similar operations outside the UK, but maybe
there is potential wherever upland peat exists in areas of high
rainfall.

Martin