market-farming - Re: Rain, Sourcing, Honest Info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh Lovel <uai AT alltel.net>
  • To: bdnow AT envirolink.org
  • Cc: sanet-mg AT ces.ncsu.edu, gkogelscha AT forestinvest.com, joe AT worldclass.net.marpar@brantleytel.net.ryancohen AT mindspring.com, pscbdc AT corinthian.net, kradford AT harrer.com, hhherbs AT negia.net, Irisesfarm AT aol.com, Farm AT aol.com.glo-farm@mindspring.com.bluemeadowsfarm AT juno.com, mark.hodges AT gtri.gatech.edu, lconklin AT aol.com, madnic AT mindspring.com, walkerogfarm AT yahoo.comcwalker@surfsouth.com.aimright AT hom.net, feppie AT mindspring.com, hazelb AT mindspring.com, bgwild1 AT aol.com, agnow AT aol.com, deirdreb AT mindspring.com, market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Rain, Sourcing, Honest Info
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:04:30 -0400

Peter Bacchus writes in regard to my post about making rain at Makaibari,
India:

>Thanks Hugh, With all this writing how do you get time for farming even if
>you
>don't have to irrigate. Life is already hard enough for meteorologists,
>but when
>people get going on your suggestions it could be nigh on imposible. On a more
>serious note I would sugest quite a bit of moral integrity needs to be
>execised
>here too
> Greeting and thanks.
> Peter

Actually, Peter, moral integrity is enormously important or one doesn't
experience success with the methods I posted.

The heart where our feelings are is where we integrate our lives between
our activities on the one hand and our thinking on the other.

Nature works on the same principle. Here in the biosphere between the
concentrated gravitational force side of things and the wide, ethereal open
spaces of the universe is the pulsing, feeling heart where it all comes
together. Hippies used to get bombed on LSD and experience this as, "Hey,
man! Everything is LOVE!" We tend to dismiss such stuff as hallucination
when instead it was a glimpse of reality with the barriers of assumptions,
beliefs, prejudices and misconceptions down.

Until we learn to work with our wills into the feeling life of nature by
way of unconditional love we don't have much success with such things as
making rain or getting plants and microorganisms into the give and take of
photosynthesis/nitrogen fixation that occurs on healthy biodynamic farms.

Here is an excerpt from my CSA coop newsletter for June 3rd:

> One of our coop members writes: All of your produce really tastes
>really good, better than others, and I am thrilled with the flavor!
> In response let me say: The great flavor is characteristic of the
>biodynamic method when functioning properly. We create conditions for high
>levels of beneficial microorganisms in the soil which supply the growing
>plants with nitrogen in the form of animo acids instead of oxidized
>nitrogen salts. This in turn makes plants with firm protoplasm instead of
>their being weak, watery, salty and bitter. Because the plant
>photosynthesizes better and holds in the energy it stores it can send
>sugars to the roots and into the soil. This in turn feeds the
>microorganisms that supply plants with amino acids. Fertility inputs are
>very low because of the plant/soil microorganism exhange of sugar for
>amino acids. It's a lot less work with better results--talk about
>sustainable. Whew! What a >difference this makes in flavor--to say
>nothing of vitality!

In my defense as regards finding the time to write? I don't find nearly
enough time. Shucks. I'd write ever so much more if I could, but you should
try running a six acre market garden with a Saturday market 125 miles away,
a CSA customer base and selling the surplus to Atlanta's gourmet chefs. If
you learn to succeed at it--a tough act in itself--it makes you want to
write and tell others. At least I have something to write about. I COULD
use more sleep, however.

Best wishes,
Hugh Lovel
Blairsville, Georgia