market-farming - Re: weekend/hobby farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: weekend/hobby farmers
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:40:31 -0700

I read that virtually every farmer in Ma. has outside income be it one or
both spouses. I would have no problem with a backyard gardener selling at a
farmers' market they however should not undercut. I believe a few market
farmer's started in this way.
Even though there are outside jobs on our farm I don't consider the farm
work part time, its like having two full time jobs. Beth

> Virtually all of the farmers around me hold other jobs. The markets are
> just too unreliable for corn and soybeans. I wouldn't call them hobby
> farmers at all.
>
> On the other hand, the weekend gardeners who want to come into the
farmers'
> market and undersell the people who are trying to actually make a profit
are
> a pain in the neck. So I am sympathetic there. I assumed that it is that
> type of person that was the point of the comment.
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: guldann AT ix.netcom.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')