market-farming - Re: market-farming - non-farmers at farmers markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming - non-farmers at farmers markets
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:35:21 EDT

Just curious --

If the market rules say that participants must grow or make at least 50% of what they sell, and the state WIC coupon rules say the same, should the guys who buy in 100% of their stuff be permitted to participate in a farmer's market? And to accept WIC coupons? And to price it at 10c over wholesale so that farmers can't ask the full retail price without seeming to be horribly overpriced?

And should the farmer who complains to the market managers be told to hush up, the market needs vendors.

I actually have this situation at a local farmer's market. I already resigned from the one where the manager (a Grange member, no less) told me that I shouldn't expect to make a profit, everybody was just there to socialize and enjoy themselves. I had to answer that if it isn't economically sustainable, I can't call it sustainable agriculture.

Incidentally, I've done far better financially just setting up a card table at the side of the road than I've ever done at any established farmer's market. Just an observation.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Upstate NY
http://www.ic.org/agrove