market-farming - Re: weekend/hobby farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "delannw" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: weekend/hobby farmers
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 07:17:42 -0500

Virtually all of the farmers around me hold other jobs. The markets are
just too unreliable for corn and soybeans. I wouldn't call them hobby
farmers at all.

On the other hand, the weekend gardeners who want to come into the farmers'
market and undersell the people who are trying to actually make a profit are
a pain in the neck. So I am sympathetic there. I assumed that it is that
type of person that was the point of the comment.