market-farming - Re: Local & Fresh & Promotions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "delannw" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Local & Fresh & Promotions
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 07:39:39 -0500

The "local and fresh" claim works for only some locations.

Local (at our market) means grown in the midwest. In other words, I can't
sell avocados or papayas.

I will be selling pears from my sister's place in Michigan this year. Most
of the peaches sold at our market last summer came from the upper peninsula
of Michigan and way southern Illinois. Most of us wouldn't consider that
local.

It doesn't make much sense to worry about farmers markets vs supermarkets.
The supermarket chains could care less.
They have plenty of customers who will never go to a farmers market. And
virtually all of our customers will end up in the supermarket sooner or
later.

Farmers markets ought to focus on a variety of promotions that will attract
customers...just like any other business. That's marketing! Local, fresh,
organic, heirloom, best canning variety, best tasting variety, unavailable
at the chain supermarkets, ....whatever. That is perfectly fair
competition.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, IL