market-farming - Re: wine grapes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "delannw" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wine grapes
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 07:59:46 -0500

I'm not sure where you are located but I used to live in a grape growing
area and I have some knowledge about the amount of work, investment and
worry that went into grape growing. Unless you are processing your own
grapes and considering developing your own winery, I'm not sure this is the
best investment with your land. Grapes are a lot of work.

It also depends on which kinds of grapes you can grow. Are there wineries in
your area? What kinds of grapes do they want and what have the average
prices been over the past 10 years? You might be better off ($ ahead)
buying an old vineyard than trying to start your own.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, IL