market-farming - Re: Resources for Grants, Loans, Funds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "delannw" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Resources for Grants, Loans, Funds
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 05:49:43 -0500

Was it your lack of business experience the USDA rep so refering to? 40
years of combined growing experience with at least some at the commercial
level doesn't sound like a lack of experience.

I am sympathetic with your situation. As a small grower, I really don't get
counted as a "farmer" around here. A rep from extension office told me I
was wasting my time and should just do resale. I never get info on local
market conferences unless I see it on the net or one of my farmer neighbors
informs me. The extension did allow me to participate in an integrated pest
management course (so long as I wasn't keeping a real farmer from
enrolling). It took a trip to a USDA office in another county to get
organic certification information for Illinois. Isn't that crazy?

Forget about it and develop a business plan for the farm that would even
impress a banker.

For what it is worth, I stayed out of debt getting Farmer in the Del
started. And I plan to keep it that way. The idea of starting a new
business with a debt load is more pressure than you need. I would have felt
a little more desperate on some market days if I had a payment looming over
my head. Who needs the worry?

Another approach to getting going with a little capital might be a CSA.
There are others here who would be better at advising you on that.

Our solution was to have two full-time wage earners in the household. My
"full time" includes another small business...which continues through the
rest of the year. The growing part is all mine. I envy you having a
partner.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton, IL