market-farming - Gleaning and market gardening

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob & Mary Buffo" <buffo AT hit.net>
  • To: "market farming digest" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Gleaning and market gardening
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:26:24 -0500

Hello all-
I have enjoyed reading about the different efforts out there, where people are making a BIG difference, and being generous not only w/ their time, but extra produce as well.  Here in Sedgwick Co., Ks, the extension and the master gardeners have embraced the PAR campaign. Plant A Row for the Hungry seems to be a good fit for our area, with garden centers, and our farmers' market volunteering as drop off sites.  While our famers' mkt has tried to do some "gleaning" in the past w/ local shelters, this promises to be a much more organized effort.  Since Wichita is D. Glickman's home town, it is hoped that he will drop by, and give personal encouragement to the effort.  The Kansas Foodbank Warehouse will pick up donations, and then store/ship them to the various agencies involved w/providing food/meals to low-income or homeless persons.  Our little 4H club has taken on a garden-mentoring  project with Haven of Hope, a residence for women and women w/children living on the "fringes" of society.  Soil fertility, sustainability, and the hands-on garden project are our first year goals.  It is a first step, and the kids are eager to help.  It is so encouraging to hear of all the efforts put forth by persons involved with market farming, and a shining example of the integrity that abounds in these circles.  If you are doing it, keep up the good work. If you haven't taken that first step in your community or state, be there to encourage something to happen.  The Plant a Row (PAR) campaign was launched in 1995 by the Garden Writers Asso. of America and heres a website for more info- www.gwaa.org or email at PAR AT gwaa.org  This is the first year for PAR in SG county, and I know our area market farmers will help make this year a success! A lovely planting season to you all!
Sincerely,
M. Buffo,
Mom, market farmer, ext. master gardener, and 4H community leader