market-farming - Re: mulching plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dayna Conner <dayna AT att.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mulching plastic
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:14:06 -0500

Folks here in central Texas are using the clear plastic for "solarizing".
First you wet
the soil down well, then apply the clear plastic. Wait several weeks -- we
went for about
6 at our place, but actual time required is possibly shorter. Best done in
hottest
months. Upside is it kills weeds, seeds, harmful soil life. Downside is it
kills the
good guys, too. Soil life can be regenerated with compost products. The
only situation
we use it in is for bermuda grass and sand burrs.

In our experience, muc of the 4 ml stuff broke to pieces when we tried to
remove it. May
have waited too long to take it off. Probably not the UV variety. Also,
some patches of
bermuda have come back this spring.

Dayna

> ...the guy from the country suggested clear plastic will get the soil
> hotter faster.

PS -- my understanding is that the black plastic absorbs the sun's heat, but
the clear
allows it to pass on through. (?)