market-farming - Re: Discount Bulbs, was Re: Galds,, source of bulbs?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal AT iname.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Discount Bulbs, was Re: Galds,, source of bulbs?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:16:58

Two years ago, my husband and I took the Indiana Master Gardener course
through our local extension office. It was the opinion of our many
instructors that you "should NOT purchase bulk seed, bulbs, etc." through
Sam's Club, Walmart or even your local nursery. Their reasoning behind
this was "you don't know what you're getting". It could be last years lot
that wasn't sold, so it's thrown back into the bin and may not be viable
for this years planting, especially since most of the personnel in the
Garden Centers are not experienced with seed storage. All of our
instructors said it was imperative to look at the package, make sure the
seed, bulbs were packaged for the year you're planting in and try to get
all the same Lots. This way, any good or bad results can be traced back to
year and lot numbers.

Blessings,
Ava