market-farming - Re: Lowering PH Naturally

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lowering PH Naturally
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:02:38 -0500

Chris,
I have been recommending sulfur for years for home gardeners. Now, there is
an agriculutral grade of Sulfur that is 92% sulfur and comes in a prill
form. I would recommend 2 Lbs/100 sq.ft of area. If you use elemental
sulfur, which is a very fine dust and you should wear a dusk mask when using
it because it is such a fine powder, then, only apply 1 Lb/100 sq.ft. The
elemental sulfur would react almost immediately with moisture and prill
would begin reacting within about a month if moisture is sufficient.

You may need to add more this Fall, but, it is wise to start out slow and
see if it does lower the pH. You can always add more, but, if you over
apply, you could create more problems.

Hope this helps!

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting