market-farming - Re: Lowering PH Naturally

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brian Caldwell <bac11 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Lowering PH Naturally
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:34:06 -0500

Hi folks,

In my opinion there is little reason to try to rapidly reduce soil pH from
7.2 down to 6.5 for vegetable crops.

The main disadvantage of a high pH, particularly on soils with low organic
matter, is poor availability of some micro nutrients. A pH of 7.2 is not
very far fom ideal for almost all vegetables. A good fertility program
based on organic nutrient sources such as moderate applications of compost
will supply macro and micro nutrients in plant available form without
tinkering with soil pH. Over the years, pH will probably go down slightly.
I think it's better to spend money on compost, manure, mulch, or other
organic fertility sources.

If you must do it, sulfur dust is the cheapest, simplest, and probably
least destructive material to reduce soil pH.

If the field in question were not being managed organically, typical acid
based commercial fertilization would likely bring the pH down in few years.
Then the chore would be to try to get it back up with lime applications.

Brian Caldwell
Cornell Cooperative Extension 607-687-4020
56 Main St. fax 607-687-3619
Owego, NY 13827 bac11 AT cornell.edu