market-farming - Starting Seeds Indoors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Dave Miller <recycler AT eclipse.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Starting Seeds Indoors
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:52:34 -0500

For the organic (veggie) gardener in all of us,

Folks ask how I can farm 3500sq ft without buying lots of plants from
the greenhouses and nurseries. My indoor set up is as follows:

On a sheet of plywood I place 4 bricks, standing up in each corner. I
place 2"x3"x8' lumber atop the bricks. Across the studs I set 4'
fluorescent shoplights (I use up to 10 sets or 20 tubes). I wired an
extension cord with a switch and plugs along the length but you could
use a 6' plug strip.

My trays slide under the lights and I can start 600-800 seeds with this
setup! I raise my flats with bricks or scrap lumber and I lower each
individually as the plants grow. I set my temp sensitive flats on top of
the lights to absorb the heat of the transformers. I can also use an old
heating pad and an electric blanket as needed. My fluorescent tubes are
a mix of cool white and warm white and one or two full spectrum or
chroma 50. Don't worry about the full spectrum too much as your plants
will be outdoors before this matters. Far better than growing leggy on a
windowsill.

Watering involves pulling the flats out but I get to look over the
seedlings, say hello, breathe on them (CO2), rotate, reseed, transplant
or thin as needed. In a month I will set a fan in the room to build
resistance before going outdoors for hardening or planting. This also
minimizes any mildew or dampening of roots.

I started peppers Jan 25th (early) as they grow slowly, are expecting
more tropical weather (hot chilies and Calif bell). Next come the cold
weather crops: onion seeds and sets grown last year, garlic, leek and
some scallions, the brassicas, broccoli, chinese pak choi, collard
greens and finally leaf lettuce (which I hope to harvest indoors). I
also start certain flowers now (sweet alyssum and impatients). Next week
or so I will start the tomatoes and much later on some squash, cukes,
more flowers, etc. I stagger my plantings as I don't need all my
lettuce, etc. at once!

As the cold weather crops get ready to move outdoors, I start the squash
and set under the lights. I have succeeded in starting over 1000 seeds
in this space by rotating and proper backtiming. Occasionally a flat
needs to go elsewhere while waiting turn for light. I can start seeds
and soak them and they won't need intense light for 7-10 days. This
gives me more time as they are content on top of my set up until their
turn!

BTW, I save as many seeds as possible and I grow all organically. Seeds
are best stored in the fridge where you can double their lifespan
(viability). I look for end of season sales for some seeds and stick
them in the fridge as well for the following season.

I mark my flats with craft (popsicle) sticks using a waterproof marker.
These can go into individual pots (no more mixing of several pepper or
tomato types) and they biodegrade well (too well?).

This 4'x8' plywood normally was set on sawhorses but this year I set it
atop 2 salvaged pieces of furniture (desk and low dresser). I get the
extra storage and a regular table fits between them and under the
plywood. I can pull this out to start seeds, etc. and push it back in to
walk around.

Moving outdoors:

My 10'x16' shed doubles as a mini greenhouse; I used clear polycarbonate
corrugated roof sheets. While not a real multi-glass sided greenhouse,
it does offer overnight protection at no cost. Since most of the plant
containers are already in use, I have some available shelf space plus
the floor. Plants get brought out or in as frost/warmth dictates for
hardening. I am hoping to add a gutter for rainwater collection with the
goal of adding a tap into the shed for quick watering :>

I love the idea of using the automobile for overnight protection against
the elements.

I also appreciate all garden suggestions involving reusing components
destined for the rubbish heap. I can be e-mailed via the list or
privately recycler AT eclipse.net

Recycler Dave,
Zone 6 Central NJ, USA
Got those tubes a hummin'