market-farming - Re: Starting Seeds Indoors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Starting Seeds Indoors
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 23:11:04 -0500

From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT netins.net>>
> What do you use for the trays or flats? I have been looking in the
seed
> catalogs for things to plant seeds in and have become confused with
all the
> odd numbers. I'm assuming that one needs a tray that will hold
water.

I never buy flats. This is a good way for the community to recycle so
I get to run free ads in the paper asking for donations of these flats
in the spring--just bring them to the farmer's market. They come to
recycle, bring friends & family. It exposes new customers to the
farmer's market, and many end up buying from me.

The flats are standard nursery size. If they don't have holes, I just
use my flame weeded to melt a few through. Once planted, I float them
in large tubs when watering is needed.

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC