market-farming - Re: Soil Blocks and Heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marc & Marcy <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Soil Blocks and Heat
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:47:47 -0700

I haven't used soil blocks, but what I've done for many
years to start my seedlings is set up a 4'x8' piece of
plywood on sawhorses or top of a table. Put an electric
blanket on top of plywood, then cover with a big piece of
plastic and put seed flats on top of that. Two flats fit
great across the 4' width. Then I used 4' flourescent light
fixtures. You need to use new bulbs every year or two as
they lose their intensity quickly - move the old ones to
your workshop. I used my soil thermometer in the bottom of
a flat to check the temperature and adjust blanket
controls. We're close to having the greenhouse up so
hopefullly I won't have to mess with the lights this year!

Marcy Nameth