market-farming - Re: Manure balls on chick feet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Manure balls on chick feet
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:19:19 -0800

Bonnie-
It happened once with straw. So I switched to sawdust. I put fir
sawdust(which I get from a local sawmill for free), then spread newspapers
down for the first few days. That is so the chicks don't peck at the the
sawdust and fill their crops up with that instead of mash. After a few days
I just cover the paper with more sawdust. The birds know where their feed
is and it's not a problem. The paper helps the composting of the litter a
bit and warms everything up a little faster. I never clean the brooder
until the end of the season. If I'm doing a large quantity of broilers that
particular season, I might do it once in the middle of the season, but
that's it.
Michaele
Growing Things
I thought you were suppose to be in CA?