market-farming - Re: Soil Blocks and Heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Soil Blocks and Heat
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:41:52 -0500

I discovered the "brownie" technique of soil blocking 2 years ago. In
fact I wrote of it in an earlier post when this list was new. I
couldn't get soil blocks to hold together either, and knowing that
root pruning is good for plants, decided to do soil blocks the
opposite way around, by cutting seedling blocks a week before
transplant. The transplants suffered minimal shock, and vigorously
began growing within days instead of weeks of other transplant
methods.

I must say, I never thought of wood frames--I keep cutting my plastic
trays.

I do this method for all crops--except rapid growth ones such as
radish, or those that prefer direct seeding, not just salad greens.

Anyone with ideas that vary on this concrete radiant heated pad?? I
need something easy & simple--something "I" myself can do--without
pouring concrete.

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC