market-farming - Re: Soil Blocks and Heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aaron Silverman <cgrowers AT pond.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Soil Blocks and Heat
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 00 08:39:52 -0800

I have raised all transplants & the selected cutting greens in soil
blocks for the past 5 years. Nearly all blocks are put into large greeen
bread trays, which we purchase used from the main Safeway bakery outside
Portland for $.75 each. They are fairly heavy when full. When
transplanting to the field portions of the tray are transferred to either
cookie sheets or smaller trays, easily carried by the "dropper". It helps
to have the trays be on the drier side when transplanting - watering
before bringing to the field is a BIG no-no, as it's a sure way to make
them crumble as you handle them. Wood tables have been built to hold 6
trays, or 14 per 2 tables spaced just the right distance apart. The
tables are open, with wood lath strips spaced to support the tray ends &
centers. Cutting greens are raised in the trays for 1 or 2 cuttings, then
composted. Composted trays have been used to create new beds around the
property, or added to new mixes in small amounts. We have a local
landscape company make our mix and deliver it in 10 yard batches.

We only heat solinaceous crops - tomatoes, eggplant, peppers. These are
all seeded in 2" blocks, then transplanted to 4" pots @ 3-4 weeks. Foam
insulation is placed on top of the table, with heating mats on top. 2 96"
long mats are sufficient to heat the width of the table. Chicken wire is
laid on top of the mat, with a grounding wire threaded through an end of
the wire and attatched to a piece of rebar driven into the ground. This
eliminates the small amount of stray voltage that otherwise seeps through
the tray and gives you a slight tingle when you touch the soil. The
tables are also covered with plastic, creating a small greenhouse just
around the row of heated tables. With the mats set at 65-75 degrees, the
air temp inside the hoop will hover around 70. Flowers and other plants
requiring warmer germination temps (e.g. cucurbits) are placed at an end
of the tunnel, off the heating matts. The matts are fairly expensive
($80-100 ea, $60/4 matt thermostat) but are very durable - we're on the
4th year for several. For us they've been an economical means of heating
a portion of our house, versus heating an entire house for just a few
crops.

Aaron

Creative Growers
Aaron Silverman