market-farming - Manure balls on chick feet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Manure balls on chick feet
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:59:06 EST

For the last two years, we've noticed that our chicks in the brooder are
collecting balls of manure on their little toenails. We keep adding straw
and don't allow them to be on wet bedding; their feed is dry organic started
mash; and they have sand as grit. This wouldn't be a problem except that the
balls harden on their feet, are difficult to remove, and cause them some
minor difficulty in walking until they are big enough to have access to the
outdoors where they can scratch.

Has anyone else noticed this problem, and, if so, have you found a remedy?

Bonnie Gregson
Island Meadow Farm
VVashon Is., WA