market-farming - Re: Manure balls on chick feet

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Manure balls on chick feet
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 06:36:14 -0500

I'm very familiar with this Bob! Mine always developed these when I
didn't put them on "chunky" litter soon enough. Straw isn't chunky
enough. Use mulch. It cleans their feet as they scratch around. I
put in the mulch after 12 hours of putting them in the brooder on
newspaper. Waiting any longer than this & cleaning their feet is a
must--as you've seen, not an easy job!! (though my girls were
thrilled with "bathing" the chickies, complete with gentle blow
drying!)

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC