market-farming - Plastic slitted rowcover

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rita Rash" <danielrash AT msn.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Plastic slitted rowcover
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 21:11:17

I was getting ready to order this stuff from Peaceful Valley since they had
the best price I had found so far. Then I got a catalog from G&M
Agricultural in the mail yesterday and they have something similar, but
much cheaper. So much cheaper that I'm wondering how well it works.

The slitted stuff opens as the air under the tunnel heats up, and closes as
it cools. The stuff from G&M though has a 2 inch wide strip of 3/8 inch
holes every 3 inches. Since it is just holes, I'm wondering if it works as
well as the slitted stuff. It doesn't seem like it would heat up as well.
On a sunny day, that wouldn't be an issue, but on a cool rainy day it could
make a significant difference I would think. Then again the way the weather
has been going, we may not have any cool rainy days again!

Anyone done any comparison of these two types? How about reusing it? Seems
to me that if it is only in use for a few weeks, the plastic shouldn't
deteriorate too much and it might be reuseable.

Also what kinds of problems do you have with the wind? Is it anyworse than
"cloth" rowcover? I'm thinking it might have problems since it essentially
has rips in it for the wind to grab.

Thanks in advance, Rita