market-farming - Full Circle Organic Farm Tools

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Full Circle Organic Farm Tools
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 15:30:15 -0800

Circle, here's an overview. As you can see, we try for a balance between
our physical labor and effective production practices for our climate and
market conditions.

We use a tractor and a spader to create semi-permanent raised beds.
Mostly, we turn in the cover crop in the Spring. We use a U-bar frequently
between crops.

When we were beginning, I used a BCS and a plow to shape beds. I
companion-planted and mix-cropped beds. As we got to the 2 acre plus
catagory with 3 farmers markets per week, sales to natural foods stores and
restaurants, we bought a 27 hp tractor, a Falc spader, picked up two
steel-purlined, hoop houses, and dropped the companion planting. Our CSA
was added later.

Because we're organic, we use weed whackers and a sickle bar on the BCS for
gross weed control in the Spring. We weed between the beds with either a
Red Dragon Flamer or a hoe depending on how far along the weeds have
gotten. Beds themselves seldom need weeding. We try to get a full canopy
established to shade them out.

We grow all our own transplants plus some for a couple of other farms. We
have double-walled plastic on the green houses two 20' x 48'. We use a
squirrel-cage fan to blow air between the layers of plastic to help prevent
heat loss at night. We have four heating mats for starting seeds, this
covers an entire 4' x 8' bench in one house. We use plain ol' florescent
shop lights for lighting. They're suspended by chain from the top purlin
and are adjustable as the seedlings grow. We mix our own soilless, low N
mix in an old cement mixer - it's roughly equal parts peat, vermiculite,
and perlite with compost, humates, and rock powders. We foliar with
soluable fish, kelp, and corn calcium. Seeds not started on the mats are
grown in speedlings.

We irrigate off our domestic well using 3/4' electric valves, t-tape above
ground, and a Toro controller.

We rarely have insect problems. Biggest pest (bedside the neighbors dogs)
are squash bugs. We usually hand pick those as we pick squash. There's
the occasional flea beetle invasion (row covers) and once in a while the
aphids out strip the abundant natural preditors (soap)

I'm the full-time farmer. We're not on ancestoral land, so we have a
California mortgage and Lee works off-farm. We normally have a part-time
apprentice and a couple of work-share helpers. We don't do critters, not
enough of me to go around.

There's your snap shot.

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm
Auburn, CA

  • Full Circle Organic Farm Tools, Marcie Rosenzweig, 02/08/2000