market-farming - Re: Plastic slitted rowcover

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Plastic slitted rowcover
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:51:53 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Rita Rash <danielrash AT msn.com>
To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 9:11 PM
Subject: Plastic slitted rowcover

.Rita:
I ordered the slitted plastic last year. Instead of sending that, the holey
stuff came. I didn't find out until after my interns had put some up. It
does not work as well as the slitted plastic. I will re-order this year and
make sure it's slitted before it's cut.

> The slitted stuff opens as the air under the tunnel heats up, and closes
as
> it cools. The stuff from G&M though has a 2 inch wide strip of 3/8 inch
> holes every 3 inches. Since it is just holes, I'm wondering if it works as
> well as the slitted stuff. It doesn't seem like it would heat up as well.
> On a sunny day, that wouldn't be an issue, but on a cool rainy day it
could

> Anyone done any comparison of these two types? How about reusing it? Seems
> to me that if it is only in use for a few weeks, the plastic shouldn't
> deteriorate too much and it might be reuseable.

Here in the northwest, I use it all season long since we need as many heat
units as we can get. What we take off has been re-used. It's a pain though
if you are using very much.

> Also what kinds of problems do you have with the wind? Is it anyworse than
> "cloth" rowcover? I'm thinking it might have problems since it essentially
> has rips in it for the wind to grab.

It actually stayed up better than rowcover. 1. the rows were more protected
than some because of other crops growing aside.
2. the plastic forms around the wire hoops during the heat and seems to
stay longer than a row cover would.
3. we buried it all along the sides, that really helped.

the other disappointment about the holey plastic was that it wasn't as wide
as I had thought I had ordered. Double check that. We had to make our beds
skinnier than we usually do to accomadate this stuff.
Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation WA

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: mjb AT premier1.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')