market-farming - new farmer needs info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andy Lee & Pat Foreman" <goodearth AT rockbridge.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: new farmer needs info
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 17:11:36 -0500

> I am desperate for information. I am thinking we should start with 10
> families and take names for a waiting list or to call if we have an
> abundance of produce. I am at a loss as to how to plant for large
> numbers of people.
>

> Can you recommend any other books? How do you figure ratio of how much
> to plant vs. how many people you are growing for?

Thank you for the kind words about my book. However, mine may not be the
guide you need. A new book is recently out, the author is Elizabeth
Henderson and it tells the whole CSA story from Robyn Van En right up to
now. I haven't received my copy yet, but I know the author and can assure
you she will tell the whole story about CSA, and I'm sure you'll see from
her book that your fears are well founded. To go from part time kitchen
gardener to full time CSA farmer without proper training is a terrific
undertaking.

However, you have a wonderful opportunity being offered in an established 45
member CSA customer list, so perhaps there's another way you can do it.
Maybe with a partner? Or, by hiring a senior apprentice who has worked a
full year on a similar size CSA? By the way, I met a group of senior
apprentices at UC Santa Cruz last month, any one of whom would be a great
garden manager for you.

If you have 45 customers each paying $400 (just guessing) then the income
may be enough to support you part time and a senior apprentice for the
season full time.

Just some thoughts, good luck with your challenge.

Andy Lee

  • new farmer needs info, Andy Lee & Pat Foreman, 02/08/2000