market-farming - Re: electric net fencing/making it work

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: electric net fencing/making it work
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:54:12 -0400

Michaele -

When we use the netting, it's not to keep the birds in, it's to keep the predators OUT! Birds have at least one clipped wing. My coments have not had a propensity for escaping from the netting. I understand that the birds are even more adapted to the netting if they are introduced to it as peeps. At PASA Saturday, Kerry Sullivan said that he puts the peeps in the netting hen they are very young; they actually run through the netting during the day, but stay inside at night.

We do run our net at 7,000.

-Allan Balliett
Claymont Farm