market-farming - Re: An idea (was Re: Lesson learned about floating row cover)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: An idea (was Re: Lesson learned about floating row cover)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 15:40:06 -0800

Jim and Jo just mentioned they use a 3/4" black plastic pipe as the hoop and
use pieces of old garden house like clips to prevent row cover from flying
away.

Jim and Jo, could you tell us more?

Was I correct in interpreting that the hose pieces act like clips?

How long are the plastic pipes before you bend them into hoop
shapes?

How wide are the rows or beds that these hoops are covering?

Why are you covering them - for frost or insects or both?

Do you fit them over pins that are in the ground, or just push them into the
soil?

We're putting together a hoophouse frame - well, as soon as the snow reveals
the ground again - and we're using 20' lengths of PVC pipe fitted over rerod
(steel reinforcing rod). But this is a large-ish building and will be
covered with 6 mil poly.

Rose