market-farming - Re: Motivated deer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Patrick Stine" <patrickstine AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Motivated deer
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 00:54:34 -0500

   Hi All, my two cents and first post.

     Concerning the deer populations, the anti hunting / gun groups have had a huge impact and contributed to the decline in the number of people out actually harvesting the deer compared in years past. Several landholders also refuse to let people hunt on their land due to liability issues, it would be to easy for someone to sue you becouse of their carelessness when walking with a loaded weapon.
    On a lighter note..... if you wish to harvest your deer several states now have programs that allow the meat to be donated to various organizations (battered womens homes, homeless shelters, etc) after you have filled your freezer. After a few years of hunting pressure we have found the deer prefer to find safer grazing grounds. This won't help those of you in the suburbs where hunting the deer would be limited if not outlawed.

    PS - really enjoy the info from the list and hope it keeps up.

Patrick Stine
Lazy S Farm
North Salem, IN.