market-farming - Bears as tillers Re: Motivated deer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Bears as tillers Re: Motivated deer
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:11:19 -0500

I have a black bear sow & her triplets-yes, triplets living in the
forest behind our farm.
If only they'd go after the wild dogs. (Trapped & impounded 4 so far
in the past couple of weeks.) I'm thinking of spreading fish oil on
the garden since the bears dig so much-free tilling! Maybe this is
why we don't have a deer problem even though I see 5-15 every night
when I go up to close up everything. Bears (black bears, at least) do
not eat deer, unless they find a carcass & they're very hungry. They
prefer acorns, nuts, fruit & will also eat corn & absolutely love NC
peanuts. Maybe planting more of these crops would encourage them to
come around & scare off the deer??

Increased deer: Hunting regulations, fewer hunters, even fewer
EXPERIENCED hunters who can actually hit their targets (this isn't
paintball, boys), increased fear of guns, venison viewed as "Eeyyew!",
smarter deer, decreased food crops (won't eat cotton), & increasing
suburbia have increased the population & farmers' problems.

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC

  • Bears as tillers Re: Motivated deer, Elizabeth Pike, 02/02/2000