market-farming - Re: Motivated deer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lee Lawton <llami AT teleport.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Motivated deer
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 07:51:43 -0800

When I bought this farm, there was already a large garden here, fenced
against deer. In fact, the whole place was fenced against deer, for all the
good it did. So far, no deer have entered the garden, however. The previous
owner put up regular pasture fencing on 5 or 6' t-posts, then attached
t-posts to the top of these posts with hose clamps. The top t-post is upside
down, with another line of fencing on that.

I've done this work myself, with help, and it is difficult to stretch the
upper wire fence any length at all, without having it flapping in the wind.
I'm going to purchase light-weight plastic fencing for another area I'm
fencing this year, and I'll use this on the upper portions. The hose clamps
work great and last forever, and you can buy them at any auto supply store.
You could buy really cheap t-posts for the top this way, too, and save
yourself the heavy work.

And I heartily recommend the post drivers, too.

Lee Lawton
Over the Rainbow Farm
Junction City, Oregon

  • Re: Motivated deer, Lee Lawton, 02/02/2000